Thursday, July 6, 2017

Flagellant #6

Same old guy from the MM65 range, this time equipped with mace and back banner stolen to Nurglitch himself.


Monday, June 19, 2017

Imperial dwarf

An attempt to bring some variety in the flagellants. Not sure this former giant slayer fits well within the regiment (except the big bare feet maybe).

Anyway, the hammerhead (used on this flagellant) has been replaced by a kind of bell-mace: this - and the skull on the base - are the elements that should tie the dwarf to the rest of the unit.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Flagellants reboot

Now that my fanatics have their robes decorated with crosses and other symbols, I had to rework the old ones painted one year ago. 4 more flagellants to join the army:


The Fanatic Four:

Thursday, June 8, 2017

Empire standard-bearer

Another violation of the "Marauder only" rule, and I can't even say that it was sculpted by Aly Morrison, as the designer is Mark Copplestone. Anyway, this is the standard-bearer that will join the mercenary regiment (until I find a better idea).


And the wild bunch:

Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Flagellant #5

A new flagellant, from the usual MM65 range. His right arm has been carefully bent and the right hand drilled to hold an "icon bearer".


And the whole band (still 3 minis to paint to consider it complete):

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Flagellant #4

Another modified MM65 flagellant. As you can see, I've replaced the head, and borrowed the hammerhead to a Marauder giant slayer. I've also added some elements from the flagellant (book and skulls) and greatsword (pendant) plastic sprues.


As for painting, I've followed some advice and tried to change the elements drawn on the robe. The Mordheim rulebook is full of inspiring illustrations. Some examples below:


Sunday, May 7, 2017

Flagellant #3

A very limited conversion this time: club replaced by a cat o' nine tails and a twin-tailed comet icon added.


And the "whole" band:


Monday, May 1, 2017

Flagellant #2

Second fanatic of this new unit, I've made a few changes to the original model (MM65):
  • on top of the backpack, I've added a wooden panel maintained by chains (all bits from the flagellant plastic sprue). My initial intent was to transform this model into a standard bearer, but I've found a better idea (to see in a future post);
  • I've extended the weapon with the upper part of a club carried by a gnoblar;
  • and finally, I've glued a skull and a scroll below the pile of books in the back.
For the painting, nothing new compared to the previous model... except the hair and beard that were even worse to paint!


Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Testing new flagellants

Back to the flagellants. I'll try to convert the models to add some diversity with respect to the first unit. Here, I've used some elements of the flagellant plastic sprue (scroll, skull and bones), and I've changed the initial flail for a kind of morning star (not totally convinced it's an improvement though).

For the painting job, I'm also trying to take into account some comments received on the first lot (too clean, too uniform), by staining the robes and adding some inscriptions. It takes time, so tell me if it's worth the effort or not :p (and the hair is still a nightmare to paint!)



I forgot to mention that John Carpenter's movie In the Mouth of Madness was a source of inspiration for the decorated robe :)



Monday, April 3, 2017

Flagellants updated

I've already mentioned that I was not totally satisfied with my flagellants, the first unit I've painted for this army. A few weeks ago, I tried to correct a few things on them (hair, faces...) and removed the beggar and the warrior-priest to have an 8-man regiment, as indicated by the Warhammer Armies book.



I've also considered painting new details on them with reds, golds and violets to link them with the other units... but in the end, I gave up the idea: too much work! 

Sunday, April 2, 2017

Swordsman #9

Back to the MM60 range for this new swordsman. Again, a real pleasure to paint :)


And the family shot: