Saturday, October 6, 2012

Jaeckel France's Dwarf Army

Although I've been collecting Citadel miniatures for over twenty years, I've never been able to paint a whole army. The first and most obvious reason is that I'm a really, really slow painter. And the second one is that I'm not a Warhammer player, and my motivation languishes after a few weeks, a few months at best.
But the brainwashing operated by the White Dwarf magazine still works: even so many years after their publication, when I go through the pages where Mike McVey explained the making of his wood elves army, or Andy Chambers showed his skaven horde, the same old reflex comes again and again: "Hey, what if I painted an army?"
 
For the admirers of the Dwarf people, two issues were particularly inspiring (and still are): in March and December, 1991, Wayne England exposed his incredible Imperial Dwarf army, painted with some basic but efficient principles: simple colour schemes, grey beards on a black undercoat and a nice selection of Citadel and Marauder Miniatures models. The result was impressive, and I think it made me buy all the blisters I could find including a model painted by Mr. England.

So, twenty years after Wayne England's Dwarf Army, it's time for me to build my own force! 2012 will be the year of Jaeckel France's Dwarf army...
All right all right, probably 2013 and 2014 too :o)

Look at these beauties...

5 comments:

  1. This article was also a huge inspiration to me and is certainly one of the reasons I hold dwarfs so dear. I can't wait to see your work progress...you can do it mate...one figure at a time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Blue (and welcome to my 1st follower ^_^),
      Well I will try: this blog is supposed to force me to make frequent updates and paint more than ten dwarves a year!

      Delete
  2. I remember one of those issues vaguely as well, always inspired me, still does, a simple paint scheme can always make any army look good if it's neat and consistant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I know this was up a while ago, but I'm trying to do just a unit of these guys: http://oldhammerinthenewworld.blogspot.com/2016/05/collecting-oldhammer-style-long-search.html
    But this was always amazing!

    ReplyDelete